Friday, February 15, 2013

Homemade Carmels

 Hi everyone.  Happy Friday.  We survived Valentines Day.  I know,  I sound like Valentines Days is exhausting.  It shouldn't be but I make it that way.  I don't want to just buy valentines.  My son Dylan, and I like to make our own.  So the race was on.  We cranked them out Wednesday night.  I got him off to school Thursday morning and started getting ready for a Valentines Party for last night.  It turned out wonderful but I am a limp biscuit today.  But I am not too tired to write this post.  Haha!

My friend Betsy has been giving me homemade camels for Christmas the last couple of years.  She kept telling me how easy they were so I thought I would give it a try.  You are gonna die how easy and good they are.

Ingredients

1 cup butter melted in a large glass bowl
then stir in the following
2 1/4 cups brown sugar
1 cup Karo Syrup
1 can Eagle Brand Sweetened Condensed Milk

Stir well.  Then you microwave on high following the pattern time below.  Stir after each segment.

4 mins, stir
4 mins, stir
3 mins, stir
3 mins, stir
3 mins, stir
1 min, stir and then and 1 tsp. vanilla

Spray a 9X13 dish, or something close to that, with Pam Spray.  If you don't it will stick terribly.  Pour the hot mixture into the pan, spread to even out the mixture.  Let cool.



Once cooled, remove from dish onto a cutting board.  Loosen the sides with a spatula.



I flipped it onto my cutting board and then scored it with my knife to get an idea of the size of squares that I wanted.  Just a little tip, it helped when I ran my knife under hot water before cutting.  It just softened the carmel a little bit.

I then cut wax paper squares into 4x6 inch squares.  So the easiest way I found was to rip a 6 inch piece and then cut it into 3's.  The wax paper is 12 inches long so this made it easy.  I have been told that they sale pre cut wax paper pieces on-line but I have not checked that out.



Here is my sweet boy with his Valentines.  It made all the hurry and scurry worth it.  He was so happy and proud.  Isn't that what it is all about anyway?



I can't wait for you to try this recipe.  You are gonna pass out how delicious they are.  Even though I am late delivering this recipe for Valentines, Easter is right around the corner and won't you just be a hit with this sweet treat?  Let me know if you make this and love it as much as I do.

2 comments:

Renee said...

im trying your caramels today, hope they look as nice as yours

Abbie M said...

Delicious caramels. Your times were right on. Thanks for the work to get it right. Enjoy!